The MBR (stands for “Master boot record”) is a boot sector (a region of your hard disk) that holds information about the partitions of your hard drive and acts as a loader for the operating system you’re running.
The Master boot record is created when you first install Windows, on the first partition you create. It’s the first 512 bytes of your hard disk.
If the MBR is damaged, you won’t be able to boot into Windows. All Windows versions – Windows XP, Vista, 7 or 8 – use MBR and, if damaged you won’t be able to boot.
1. The cause of the error?
- The startup file is damaged or lost.
- Remove the Linux operating system from a dual-boot computer.
- Wrongly installed older version of boot record.
- Some other reasons…
2. How to Fix boot MBR on win 10?
Method 1: Use Command Prompt to fix MBR
You can use the Command Prompt in Windows to manually start the MBR repair. If you encounter the Auto Repair screen at Windows startup and you want to use the Command Prompt, choose Advanced Options > Troubleshoot > Command Prompt instead.
Once you are at the Command Prompt, you can use a tool called Bootrec (Boot Recovery) to repair the MBR.
First, type BOOTREC /FIXMBR and press Enter . After a while, you will see the message “Operation completed successfully”.
Type BOOTREC /FIXBOOT and press Enter.
After receiving a confirmation message similar to the one above, you can restart your computer to see if everything is back to the way it was.
In addition, you may also need to try some other command lines to fix the error:
- If you think your boot sector has been damaged or replaced, then use the command below to delete the existing one and create a new one: bootrec /fixboot.
- Besides corrupted boot records, MBR errors are sometimes also caused by “Boot Configuration Data” (boot configuration data). In that case, you need to use the following command to rebuild the BCD: bootrec /buildbcd.
- If you have multiple operating systems installed on your Windows machine, then you can use “scanOS”.
- This parameter tells Windows to scan and add all the minimal operating systems to the boot configuration data. This allows the user to select the operating system at boot: bootrec/scanos.
Method 2: Use Command Prompt to fix MBR
Step 1. Install and launch AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard on a working PC. In the main interface, click Make Bootable Media in the left pane and follow the wizard to create a Windows 10/11 bootable USB drive.
Step 2. Connect the bootable media created via AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard to the computer with a boot issue and enter BIOS to boot computer from the USB drive.
Step 3. Once logged in, the AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard will run automatically. In the main interface, right-click the system disk that contains corrupted MBR and choose Rebuild MBR.
Step 4. Set the type of MBR for Windows 10 in the pop-up window. (Choose a proper MBR type according to your operating system.)
Step 5. Click Apply and Proceed on the toolbar to commit Rebuild MBR operation.
So in the last article, I have finished showing you how to Fix boot mbr on win 10? Wish everyone have interesting knowledge.